. 8 habits of effective Guitarists........ 1. Effective guitarists play a lot The first key to being a successful guitarist is to ...
8 habits of effective Guitarists........
1. Effective guitarists play a lotThe first key to being a successful guitarist is to play guitar. A lot.
2. Effective guitarists are curiousSuccessful guitarists ask lots of questions. And they seek out the answers.
They are curious about what other guitarists do and learn from them. They are always on the look out for new tricks to learn and new ways of doing things.
3. Effective guitarists are analyticalSuccessful guitarists don’t practice without thinking about what they're doing.
They study what they've been practicing, observing carefully to see what works and what doesn't. They think through problems and look for ideas that might solve them. Then they try them out until they find one that works.
4. Effective guitarists are lifelong learnersIf you’re new to playing guitar, you probably face a steep learning curve.
Maybe you think that things will get easier when you’ve been playing longer. There won’t be so much to learn. You’ll have things mastered soon and everything will run smoothly. Happily, I think this is a myth.
No matter how long you play guitar, the great thing is there's always a new discovery that will bring a smile to your face.
5. Effective guitarists are systematicSuccessful guitarists choose a style to work on and stick to it.
They learn about and practice their chosen style with a consistent approach. They stick to regular practice schedules and use systems to ensure they practice what they most need.
6. Effective guitarists plan aheadSuccessful guitarists know where they’re going. They have a plan and they stick to it. Yes, they adapt to feedback, but always in service of their vision.
7. Effective guitarists are persistentThe best guitarists understand that success doesn’t happen overnight. They know that if they persist in working towards their vision they will end up getting there, even if there are a few rough patches and diversions along the road.
8. Effective guitarists are self-startersA lot of people like the idea of playing guitar, creating music and even impressing people with their skills. But if you want these things, you need to be able to manage yourself.
No one will fire you if you don't show up to practice. No one reminds you of deadlines you've set or nags you to get your scales in shape.
What trait do you think is most valuable?
Source @ NotPlayingGuitar